Monday, December 2, 2013

Simple Girl

I still have your KMARO cd.  Every time I find it I think, "That's right I found it.  I need to return it."  But then I remember I cannot return it to you.  So I assume it is mine, now.  And as I listen I remember hanging out with you.  You loved music.  You were always playing music on your computer, much of it in Russian.  I wish I could remember the name of the artist you liked a lot.

Elena, 1997, 15 years old
I loved how ok you were with being different.  I remember how you would do your hair.  Usually not a lot of effort put into it, but since it is naturally straight, you didn't need to.  Every time I came over you would make me a cup of coffee.  It was awesome how utilitarian you were.  You would pour water into a bowl, heat it in the microwave, and pour from the bowl into a cup of instant grounds, and stir.  Honestly, it left more time for the things that matter.

We always had something we knew we needed to do together.  And it was always different.  I totally enjoyed being right alongside you.  You were happy and fun and we thought the same things being around men and about getting things done.  The simpler, the better.

I never got to learn to cook Russian foods with you and I wish I had.

I still have the clothes and shoes you gave me.  They are wearing out a little bit, but are still good.

I love you and miss your laugh.

-Your friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment