Monday, December 3, 2012

Victim's Assistance

Good morning all....

I don't know much about Victim's Assistance yet but I spoke with a lady on the phone this morning.  She explained that especially in the case of murder they work with the victim's family to help them make decisions regarding how the last arrangements are made.  I know that Elena is nearby as of last Friday night at dinner time.  She's in a funeral home in Keizer, just a few streets down from where I live.  But no one is allowed to see the body from what I understand, that is if they wanted to.

The woman who can help with her particular case is in a hearing this morning but as soon as she gets out, she will call back.  She will be able to tell us the likelihood of the family permitting a memorial service including her body, here, before she goes.  I don't know.  She asked that in the case that the family wanted her home immediately could we still have a service for her and I said yes....  But there are people (including myself) who I mean, all I have is a text message that didn't get answered, and an article on Dave in the Statesman Journal, to fathom that my friend is gone.  You know?

So... Also...

I asked for whether the family could be asked for contact information.  I might not be the only one, I know that I would like to write to her father and brother.  I want them to know that she did not spend her days here alone or unloved.  The women's pastor thinks this is a good idea.  There is someone in my church who could translate to Russian.

The detective suggested making a video of a memorial service here and sending it to the family in Russia.  I thought that was a good idea.

Also, one of Elena's closest friends is in Michigan.  He cannot afford to come all the way out here and wants to be a part.  I suggested skype video.  That way we can hear and see him and he can be here as we hold a service.

If you have suggestions or requests, maybe you can mention them or else contact Pastor Chris at South Salem Nazarene church who said that he would love to hold the memorial service for her, and they would cover the costs of it.  

2 comments:

  1. She called back. She thinks the family would like to hear from her friends here about how much she was loved, but she has to wait now and try and contact them and see if they reply. She will find out their wishes specifically on the body and a memorial here, if she can. Since they live on the other side of the world I expect to hear an answer maybe tomorrow.

    In the case that they want the body back quickly and the memorial happens very soon, I think I will keep in touch with Pastor Chris and what preparations need to happen. If you have something you want that is important to you, or if you know of people to invite to the memorial, this is a good time to think about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. im sorry i could not protect her this time.o wish i knew her dad better i will always remeber and love her.

      Delete